Sunday, April 17, 2016

Longevity equaling Validty


 Today I read a statement that said “The longevity of a relationship does not determine its validity”. 

My first thought was “what the hell am I supposed to do with that?”  Seriously, you spend 27 years with someone – that has to mean something right?  You have built careers, a home, had kids, celebrated and stayed despite…

Then it ends. 



Forget the “Stages of Grief”, those are the obvious.  What is hidden beneath is the mental abuse you put yourself through.  How bad was it really?  Am I that unlovable?  What if I had gone left instead of right back in 19__?  Did we stay together because of the kids?  Did we stay together because we were lazy?  Was our marriage lazy?  My mental abuse questions can go on and on, but you get the idea.  Therapist, blogs and articles on the World Wide Web, try and tell you various aspects of advice on this issue.  Ultimately, they all seem to lead back to saying something like:  remember your self-worth; focus on you; rediscover yourself; focus on the future; relive just enough to not make the same mistakes again. 

Not helpful.  Really…not helpful!  Where is the article that says:  Stop mentally abusing yourself over why he left, they were his reasons?  Where is the article that says:  So what if you stayed together for the kids, the kids made you happy and when they were gone it is time to find something else to make you happy?  Where is the article that says:  He left because he is a fuckwad?

If you see any of those articles, the critical acclaim is “oh look how bitter they are”.  Reality check, when a major life change happens to you - You Are Entitled to be Bitter if You Want!  What you do with that bitterness is another story. 

Another really annoying “search result” is the advice on how to make your marriage better so you don’t head for divorce.  Before the separation, those articles encouraged me.  Then those articles depressed me.  Then I went through a stage of blame and what-if’s?  Now, they sort of make me snort/laugh. 

So you date, you have something in your life that makes you declare love; you get married; you build; you have kids; kids leave and then what?  What if you tried, even half-heartedly, at every marriage builder?  I saw a meme that said “Love is both a noun and a verb”.  Again, I thought “what the hell do I do with that?” 

The reality is that most couples spend their marriage hiding from each other.  They hide for many reasons: Past baggage, shame, hurt, narcissism, self-preservation, pop culture, kids, parents, siblings, work, finances…the list goes on and on.  So the articles that I snort/laugh at are sort of on the right track but if you are not open to them in your own mind they make zero difference and the longevity of your marriage diminishes the value of your marriage – if you’re still married or now divorced. 

Does the longevity of your marriage diminish the value of your marriage?  My answer, it all depends on whether you let it.  Some days I choose to let it and other times I remember that only I have control over how diminishing the value of my marriage is/was. 

My point?  Well 1) I like to hear myself talk and talk about what is bothering me; 2) I’m tired of feeling humiliated, sorry for myself and shame over the last 27 years of my life.  If nothing else (and there were good “else’s”) I had five children who were born out of love – both the noun and verb – who have grown into individual; smart; intelligent; productive; loving; beautiful (inside and out) children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment